Sunday, February 1, 2009

sisters

lately, i've been struck by our girls and their relationships with one another. over the last two or three months, things have changed between them...in a great way. they seek each other out for advice and as a sounding board for what went on in their days. they still come to mom and dad, but more and more they rely on each other. there is still a good bit of sibling rivalry, but the way that they laugh and carry on with each other is so sweet. i can remember so clearly what it was like to grow up with siblings who i could laugh and cry with. it's such an unbreakable bond. my siblings and my parents are my best friends. isn't it great that someone can know you inside and out and still love you anyway? this sense of security is what i hope our girls will have. it makes me think of this quote from Barbara Alpert:
She is your mirror, shining back at you with a world of possibilities. She is your witness, who sees you at your worst and best, and loves you anyway. She is your partner in crime, your midnight companion, someone who knows when you are smiling, even in the dark. She is your teacher, your defense attorney, your personal press agent, even your shrink. Some days, she's the reason you wish you were an only child.

1 comment:

Teri said...

My daughter - the writer. You warm my heart with your thoughts. Thanks for sharing. I love you.